Cuenca: Days 9-12

To start off with here are a few photos of Banos that I didn’t post on the last post because I got internet before the photos were on my computer and wifi is so rare for me that I was eager to post rather than wait for the photos to download.

Theres a couple of Banos and then a couple of me and my host parents with traditional food (spumilla, the ice cream looking stuff, and banos empanadas

banoschurch banosdancerschurch meandhostmomspumilla hostparentsbanos

Also heres a couple photos of my family.. the first is (from the left), my host brother-in-law, my host sister, my host neice (6 yr old), my host neice (10 yr old), host sister-in-law, host mom, and host brother. missing from the photo are my other host brother and sister-in-law, their 9 yr old daughter, my host dad, and my host sister’s 1.5 year old daughter.


and the second is 2 of my host-nieces (the 1.5 yr old and 6 yr old)


Day 9 was our first day of Spanish school when we finally learned what level we got placed in. I got placed in the highest level! Super proud of myself for that 🙂 But its going to be pretty hard, on the first day we got the syllabus and basically its going to be rapid grammar practice and then we’re going to spend most of the time reading books in spanish and discussing them and discussing other topics so that we can get fluent with conversation. Our class is super great, its just 3 of us, me max and ciarra, and so its really nice to have such 1 on 1 learning. The teacher is difficult and a bit strict and we get little punishments for speaking english, but she’s also really sweet. After morning class, we went and bought our spanish novels that we have to read and school supplies. It was really weird because you enter a bookstore and can’t actually look around, you just say the name of a book you want and they go and get it for you and then i asked for notebooks and had no choice in what kind I got and they gave me Barbie ones. Don’t know how I feel about that. Then I looked a bit through our first book and it is SO DIFFICULT, and its supposed to be the easiest of the books that we are going to read. Oh joy.

Then I went home for a tasty lunch and then returned to our school, Amauta, in the afternoon for a little tour of the city. We started out at the main square of Cuenca that has the old cathedral on one side and the new cathedral on the other.


Our guide talked a bit about the cathedrals, and while he was super sweet, he was also incredibly quiet so I cannot remember anything he said about the cathedrals besides the fact that the new cathedral (in the photo above) is actually not very old at all even though it looks old.Then we walked around the new cathedral a bit.

After that we went around through some marketplaces, including a pretty flower market, where we got some nice views of Cuenca and talked a bit more about the history of the city, which I also didn’t hear.

topofbluecuencachurch colorfuldollfaces

Finally, we finished the tour at the Panama hat museum. Panama hats are actually made in Ecuador, even though they’re called Panama hats. They’re just called that because the workers on the construction of the Panama Canal wore the hats from Ecuador so they got that name. We learned about how they are made and then played around a bit trying on different hats and taking photos.


After the tour I headed back home for dinner. In the evening, I went over to one of my classmates who lives nearby’s house to use her wifi and chitchat.

Day 10, we had another morning of Spanish class which was fun but difficult (its 2.5 hours of class every morning). In the afternoon, we had our first Biology class. It wasn’t terribly exciting that day because we were just reviewing what we would eventually be doing and introducing ourselves but our professor is super friendly and knowledgeable so that will be fun.

Biology class finished early and so we hung around the top floor of our spanish school which had a nice rooftop sort of view.


After than we had icecream and then I headed home for dinner. I was so exhausted that I ended up falling asleep as soon as I got home around 7 and only woke up once for dinner before falling back asleep.

Day 11, another morning of Spanish class. Then I went home for lunch and then in the afternoon we had an orientation of how to get by bus/taxi to our volunteering job. I am working at the zoo with 5 other people so we headed that way. We took 2 taxis there and our taxi made it there easily because we had the student guide in our car. We waited around in the parking lot (which was all dirt road, not paved, and very small, not at all like the US zoos) on top of the mountain that the zoo is on and looked at the view.


Thankfully the view was beautiful because the other taxi ended up getting very lost and took almost an hour to find it. When they finally arrived, it was pouring rain so we couldn’t tour around much but the orientation was mostly on just how to get to the zoo. Then we turned around (with garbage bags as raincoats because some of us didn’t have raincoats), and hiked/took the bus back into town.

Once we got back much later than we were supposed to, the entire group of us went to happy hour at the same bar, Wunderbar, that we had gone to a few nights prior. It was very fun and drinks were nice and cheap. Then we all headed to our professors apartment for “family night” and we basically just all cooked together and made spaghetti with 2 homemade sauces, pesto and bolognese and a nice salad and then hung around for a long while and talked and caught up. It was really really nice and we’re going to do a “family night” every Wednesday night from now on. I’m so happy with our group of students, everyone is just fitting so nicely together.

Then we were planning on going to Salsa night at a discoteca but by the time we finally left the house, it was so late that I just headed home because I still had a bit of homework.

Day 12, we had another morning of Spanish class. We did almost no grammar and spent most of the time just talking in Spanish which is super helpful. Our professor also brought us really tasty plums from her house, which was really sweet. We didn’t have a break and instead finished class a little early and had a huge icebreaker with all the people who work at amauta, all of us students, and a bunch more university students from the local university that are studying to be spanish teachers. Then we all ate homemade tamales together for lunch and talked amongst big groups of us. The university students at our table were so so sweet and friendly and eager to tell us all the bars and discotecas we had to go to, and one of them works at a discoteca so he offered that we could go there for free if we called him beforehand. Then instead of going home for lunch, I stayed back with a few other students, bought cheap galoshes for working at the zoo and wandered around the center of the city a bit.

Then we all met up and took a bus to the zoo because biology class on Thursday afternoons is at the zoo. We finally got to actually tour around the zoo since it was sunny and our teacher spent the whole day just showing us around the zoo since he technically owns/manages/lives at the zoo with his wife. It really is incredibly different than zoos in the US. First off its on the side of a pretty steep mountain and the entire thing is vertical. There really isn’t a single trail around the zoo that is flat, the entire thing just goes up the side of the mountain. Second off, its not crazy tourist-y, like in the US. The entire time we were there, there was only one other couple with a kid (although we were also visiting late on a Thursday). Its more of a conservation center. Basically they get animals that are confiscated by police, taken from other zoos because they were sick or treated badly, taken from circuses, or called in by people who found them on their property. They get 350 animals a year brought in and the zoo has 2 parts. Theres one half that is all the animals that are either too badly injured to survive in the wild or are too accustomed to humans to survive in the wild and this is the part that people get to visit. Its huge and all the animals are so fun and interesting. Then theres the second half that is all the conservation part that people can’t see, where a lot of the animals are and these are the ones that have a chance to be returned to the wild or are being evaluated. This day we just got to see the normal part. It was crazy, at the lion part, they have 6 lions (4 female, 2 male) and at one point they all got territorial and active at once and all stood at the edges of their respective cliffs and starting roaring all together. We saw lots more animals too. It was a fun biology class.

Then I headed back home to rest a bit because my tummy wasn’t feeling too great. It was a nice tranquil evening and my 6 yr old host neice made me play dolls with her… needless to say, i’m not very good at playing with dolls in spanish. Not only because its hard to speak spanish so normally but also because I cannot remember for the life of me how to play with dolls. Then she had a sleepover at our house which she was very excited about.


2 thoughts on “Cuenca: Days 9-12

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s